Family & Community Health Sciences
Family and Community Health Sciences (FCHS) helps people stay healthy, enjoy life, be active, and reduce health care costs. Many of today's health problems--obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer--can be reduced through good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. FCHS encourages today's busy families and individuals to learn more and make personal choices to improve health. FCHS combines research and practical advice to improve your health for a better tomorrow.
Get Moving – Get Healthy New Jersey encourages a healthy lifestyle, especially healthy eating and physical activity, through educational programs, a website, publications, and targeted marketing campaigns.
FCHS Outreach Focuses On
- Food, Nutrition, Health, and Wellness
- Food Safety and Food Allergies
- School Wellness
- Workplace Wellness
- Family Wellness
What's Happening in Mercer County?
- Super Storm Sandy Information
- Grow Healthy school-wide wellness program (134KB PDF)
- Supermarket Tours – Get the most nutrition for your money!
- Education & Training for agencies serving the developmentally disabled
- Professional Development
- PTA/PTO Presentations
- Classroom Lessons
- Health Fairs
- Walking Programs
- Family Fun Nights
- Nutrition education for older adults
- Programs for new parents
What's Happening on the State Level in Family and Community Health Sciences?
- Mercer County Building Healthy Kids Coalition
- Tremendously Trenton Coalition
- Trenton Public Schools
- Trenton Crusade Against Cancer
- Shaping NJ State Partnership for Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity
- NJ Coordinated School Health Demonstration Project
- NJ Farm to School Network
- Mercer County Nutrition Project for the Elderly
- Boys & Girls Club of Trenton and Mercer County
- Allies Inc.
- Mercer County Special Services School District
- New Jersey Partnership for Healthy Kids - Trenton
- New Jersey Prevention Network Coalition for a Healthy New Jersey
Michelle Brill, M.P.H., Family and Community Health Science Educator