Family & Community Health Sciences
Family and Community Health Sciences (FCHS) helps people stay healthy, enjoy life, be active, and reduce health care costs. Many of today's health problems—obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer—can be reduced through good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. FCHS encourages today's busy families and individuals to learn more and make personal choices to improve health. FCHS combines research and practical advice to improve your health for a better tomorrow.
Get Moving – Get Healthy New Jersey encourages a healthy lifestyle, especially healthy eating and physical activity, through educational programs, a website, publications, and targeted marketing campaigns.
FCHS Outreach Focuses On
- Food, Nutrition, Health, and Wellness
- Food Safety and Food Allergies
- School Wellness
- Workplace Wellness
- Family Wellness
What's Happening in Mercer County?
- Super Storm Sandy Information
- Grow Healthy school-wide wellness program (134KB PDF)
- Supermarket Tours – Get the most nutrition for your money!
- Education & Training for agencies serving the developmentally disabled
- Professional Development
- PTA/PTO Presentations
- Classroom Lessons
- Health Fairs
- Walking Programs
- Family Fun Nights
- Nutrition education for older adults
- Programs for new parents
What's Happening on the State Level in Family and Community Health Sciences?
- Mercer County Building Healthy Kids Coalition
- Tremendously Trenton Coalition
- Trenton Public Schools
- Trenton Crusade Against Cancer
- Shaping NJ State Partnership for Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity
- NJ Coordinated School Health Demonstration Project
- NJ Farm to School Network
- Mercer County Nutrition Project for the Elderly
- Boys & Girls Club of Trenton and Mercer County
- Allies Inc.
- Mercer County Special Services School District
- New Jersey Partnership for Healthy Kids - Trenton
- New Jersey Prevention Network Coalition for a Healthy New Jersey
Michelle Brill, M.P.H., Family and Community Health Science Educator